Thursday, April 12, 2012

My Favorite Online/Print Ads

Old Spice; Before & After
The Old Spice before and after ads featuring LL Cool J and Brian Urlacher are one of my favorite print ads. Of course there are accompanying videos to go along with these ads, I've laughed at each video  accordingly. I like these ads because, just like Axe, the ads for Old Spice body spray are ridiculous, and it's that ridiculousness that's so attractive about the ads. I find Old Spice ads hilarious and their ad appeal gives me enough motivation to walk over to Duane Reade to pick up a can for whatever ridiculous adventures the cologne has prepared me for.

Diesel (and their stupidity)

Diesel is a clothing and accessory brand, and they've made noise in the quiet neighborhood of today's advertising with their Stupid Campaign which I absolutely love. It seems original enough and although some of the ads can be viewed as wildly inappropriate, others are just funny and reckless. Usually I'm not convinced in products solely because of ads, but these ads (in addition to Old Spice) had me thinking that 2 miles was only a couple blocks and I walked over to the Diesel store and bought a pair of jeans and some cologne.


 This Diesel ad depicts someone who seemingly adopted a bear,which has the proper motor skills to reach into the fridge and get something to eat or drink. This is a great example of stupid, and a greater example of what to spend my next few paychecks on.








This ad depicts, well, I honestly don't know what it depicts, but I'm interested enough to find out, and stupid enough to try it; and that's the point of the ad isn't it?








This ad is almost self-explanatory, it's the poor man's version of a motorcycle, where instead of 60-MPG, it runs at an amazing 0 MPG, helping the environment and running solely on imagination and an inability to disregard the concerned looks of passerby's. It's an upgrade from the box my fridge came in and a few sharpies.






This ad doesn't seem too stupid to me, in fact I think it's pretty cool, not too sanitary though. I've taken pictures like this before, but I never prepared by bringing my own bench and trash can, I usually just went parallel to the floor and struck a pose. I've also never looked as stylish when doing this, but since these ads I've changed my ways.



I don't believe all these ads depict something "stupid" but rather as the ad states, something "brilliant." Although it isn't too smart to get in a body of water with a leather jacket on, that is the only complaint I have about the sanity of the person, if this were to be a real scenario. Besides that, how will he enjoy that champagne when there is no flat ground to put it on?






This is actually the only three-part ad I've seen. It details the stupidity of playing with wild animals, elephants specifically. It seems to be going well, but it's obvious to see what happens at the end of the story. It's a good warning, because one of the things on my bucket list was to hug a grizzly bear, and elephants don't even have the soft fur I look for when playing with deadly animals. 

3 comments:

  1. You win the prize for best ads! Seriously: these are very good and for that, and extra 2 points
    but you did only pick 2 companies/products.
    12 points

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really amazing ads! I like the concept of making the term “stupid” actually seem like a nice thing by the way it is presented in the ads. It actually makes you think and agree with it somehow because it presents valid and reasonable arguments. If you think about it, it seems like they are using reverse psychology, but it is actually very convincing.

    Jim Chabris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amused with your humour and choices. You should be a brand manager!

    ReplyDelete