Thursday, February 16, 2012

Music and it's Ultimate Benefits (MassCom)

Make Believe Ballroom

1934 was the time period when radio started playing music. Also known as the "Make believe ballroom," but trust me when I say this was much more important than your sister's "Make believe ballroom" with Reginald Teddy Bear the Fourth. 




My terrible editing job, but then again who edits something like this?
This was influential because it spread those cool tunes farther and more often. if it wasn't for the music revolution of radio, artists wouldn't be as widespread, as quickly, around the nation, except through touring. Also if it wasn't for the creation of the Make Believe Ballroom I would be more musically stunted than a caveman in a fishbowl. Why a caveman in a fishbowl? Why not?












Music Recording and Ability to Playback


My prime example of this low-tech P2P Sharing is That 70's Show
The new ways of listening to music started from the record, which had diminished sound every time the needle hit it, to tapes, which lost their groove slower, but just as sure. The major companies of 1947, Columbia, Victor, Decca, Capitol, MGM, and Mercury were ecstatic with the sales of their records. But soon realized that with recorded music comes peer-to-peer sharing. Though low-tech at the time, telling your friend you got this sweet new record and hanging out in your basement to listen to it took away from record sales. As your basement became the usual hangout spot for your group of friends, so did your peer-to-peer sharing of records, leaving you only to buy a record every blue moon. I personally still do this in my apartment to date, we just hook up our computers to speakers and blast music to the critical ears of whoever's sitting around. 






Dance Crazes 


Shuffling on the other hand requires more work
Though strange, dance crazes fuel the music industry. From the doo-wop to the Dougie, to Cranking That and Shuffling, dance crazes influence record sales worldwide. I can't tell you how many times I've watched Shakira's music video to try and learn to shake my hips like that (Although for masculinity sake I should say 0). Various dance crazes could determine the genre of music that becomes popular during any given week, month or year. I never learnt how to Dougie, but I taught myself how to Crank That Superman relatively easy. I love dance crazes, it gives me a reason to dance in public. Although when do  I ever need a reason to dance in public?

Sound Effects

An example of Hollywood voice-editing
Now when I say sound effects I don't mean the cliche laughing track on every sitcom from the 80s and 90s, or that *WHAP* sound when someone in a movie gets punched, I'm talking about engineering music, and altering it to have a certain sound, or effect. Artists like the Beatles or Jimi Hendrix were popular with their "psychadelic" sounds. And more often than not, tracks today are being altered heavily in order to sound "better," (if that's what you want to call it). The House music, techno, and electronica/dance genre relies heavily on these sound alterations. As well as certain singers and bands who use voice altering software to make their voice crispy clear and faker than a Hollywood movie set. I love house and techno music, but at some point T-Pains overexaggerated autotune gets on my nerves.




Culture

The emotions of a child and his cereal
The last, but most important part of music is culture. Music has always been a shared experience between groups of people, and has ventured out into a melting pot that is, today, our world. Music can express feelings about anything, whether it be the sadness you feel that your roommate ate the last of your cereal or because you just got dumped. The few great singers left today belt out songs about a sadness that we can relate to, or a happiness that we love to feel. I personally love Andy Grammar's upbeat Pop that makes me do a little dance in between every step I take until the next song comes on. After that I just Party Rock to LMFAO till I get to class. 


Bibliography;

1 comment:

  1. Excellent work. Not only have you honed in the the essential points, you've expanded on them. Well Done.
    12 points

    ReplyDelete